Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My soaping business

I am looking into joining the Home Soap Makers Guild and buying its insurance. That will be an investment of over $5oo. I know that I need the insurance and the HSMG membership, but, am not sure if this investment is where I want to put my slowly, (very slowly) growing income. Then I need to become an LLC. There goes more money. Plus, I need to go to the county treasurer to get my dba for this business. I already have one for my antiques business. Decisions, decisions.
Did I mention that business is slow? I did quite well at a recent craft show, but, they are few and far between. My next scheduled show is October 24th. I don't do very many in the summer months, as I am far to busy with the rest of my life. Maybe this is where I am in error. I have a hard time dealing with excessive heat as it physically breaks me down. When I was younger, I developed heat stroke while working in the grape vinyards of our farm. "Suckering" the grape vines is hard work.
I have received two very expensive orders, recently, both in the $50-60 range. This also takes a toll on my budget, but, I know it is the price of doing business. A small profit would be nice, one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment